Mother's Day in Utah means it is now finally a safe time of year to work in the garden with out fear of snowfall. . . or at least we hope. This week I've been working on our front garden. Pulling weeds. Planting flowers. Laying out dirt and mulch. Pulling more weeds. Then today was the big day for the family backyard overhaul. The plan: edge, mow, weed, place new compost and dirt. Our plan changed a little. We've spent four summers debating what to do with a huge rock/boulder that inhabited the center of our garden space. It has made planning for this space almost impossible. Once Brett got working on weeding out 'the jungle', he decided once again to attempt to defeat the rock of all rocks. After a few hours of sweat and dirt, he cleared enough space around the rock so that it could move back and forth with a lot of muscle. There was no going back now. After many attempts at moving it he took a trip to the hardware store and got some heavy machinery to help with the rock eviction. He had fun drilling and pounding into the granite, breaking off several pieces to make it more manageable. The boys got to try out "Thors Hammer" - as Noah called it. During this process we had the dirt/compost delivered to us by some young men earning money for scout camp. They unloaded the dirt around where Brett was working and the scout leader worked with Brett to move the rock to the side of the garden so it can be used as seating. It's amazing what a difference it makes to have all that space cleared up. The backyard is looking so much better. I'll post some after pictures later this week once we get the lawn mowed.
I'm amazed the boys could pick the hammer up it was heavy and hard to swing.
This picture is a little deceiving. He is NOT drilling into his foot.
The drill was really loud, so the boys sat with their ears covered most of the time. They had to be far enough away that they wouldn't have rock pieces flinging on them.
I had the best Mother's Day this year, thanks to the men in my life:). Hyrum and Noah were really excited about the 'Mom Party' and couldn't wait to give me breakfast. They kept coming into our room way to early asking Brett (loudly) if it was time to sneak downstairs and get me breakfast. Once it was a decent hour to wake up, Brett went down with the boys and got me my cereal of choice. Noah ran up a few minutes before Brett and the other boys, threw a present on me, and then ran away. I pretended to still be asleep:). Once everyone was in the room I acted really surprised to see everyone. I sat up and fed Owen my cereal that he was begging for before I opened presents. The gifts were perfect and much needed/wanted. I'm so glad Brett took what I told him I wanted and ran with it:). In Kindergarten class Hyrum made a special card for me with a paper that talked about how great Mom's are. I loved them, but I had to laugh at the checklist that had two attributes unmarked. I don't think he actually read what they said, but it was pretty funny.:) It was a great day and I am so grateful to be a Mom to such cute/wonderful/happy/smart/funny boys.




No comments:
Post a Comment