I love this season. We have really been trying to focus on the Savior and charity so the boys can understand where the spirit of Christmas really comes from. With 4 boys in just a hair under 6 years, we have been in survival mode for so long that I think Brett and I need this season and the increased Spirit of Christ to kick in our eternal perspective. We feel so blessed to have our four beautiful boys. Our days are so long and our nights are spent just trying to catch up with what happened during the day. I hope some day we will catch up. But in the meantime I want to treasure those moments that bring us to the present for a while, and help us forget how far behind we might feel. I can't believe how much our boys have grown. I'll give a little highlight of each of the boys, but first this:
Brett and I will be celebrating our 8th anniversary at the end of the month. It's been a long year for Brett. He's been working long hours and frequently gets back to work after kids are in bed. Yet, he still manages to make it through "Honey-Do" lists on Saturdays, and play time with the boys. He volunteered to be a Dad helper at Hyrum's school for a few full days during the year, which Hyrum absolutely loves. He also usually takes Noah to school in his truck on his way to work, which makes him so happy. I am very grateful for this man in my life.
Hyrum is an amazing little man. He blows us away with his inquisitive mind. His mind thinks beyond his age. He comprehends math at an advanced level for a first grader. He loves to know how things work. During a neighborhood yard sale this summer he was ecstatic when he saw a really old computer for sale for only $1. He was so excited to buy it with his own money and then take it apart with his Dad. Reading hasn't come as easy for him, but it's amazing how much he has progressed in the past few months. When school started he wasn't sure about all of the letter sounds, and not even close to reading. He's been seeing an amazing tutor that has really been a game changer for him. He loves his brothers, and loves helping other people. He wrote a letter to Santa that he was happy to give to him in person.
I can't say enough about Noah. He has quite the sassy attitude for a 4 year old. He is full of emotion, which at times can be a little overwhelming, but it is also his greatest asset. Sometimes he can't help but just love everything around him. Every once in a while his cup just runs over and he can't help but share it with everyone. He will snuggle up and tell me he loves me out of nowhere and he will start telling me other things that he loves. Noah is very unique. I can honestly say that everyone loves Noah, really. He just has this charismatic, funny, magnetic personality that draws people to him. He is also very smart. We are asked frequently if we are sure he's only four, because he communicates and thinks more like someone years older.
Our sweet little Owen is a special part of our family. He's in the midst of the terrible two's of craziness, yet there is something about him that is just so pure and sweet that I can't help but have the urge to snuggle with him every minute of the day. He is so tender with his baby brother, which is very uncharacteristic of our boys. Emmett is our first baby to go 5 months before getting a brother induced bruise, scratch, or other injury. Owen is his protector. He loves holding him, talking about him, and laying next to him. I frequently find Owen just laying next to Emmett on the floor. They have a special bond that I hope will remain forever. In fact, Emmett's nickname came from Owen. We call him Baby Happy or just Happy because Owen would run to me in concern whenever Emmett was crying and plead, "Baby, Happy?" and whenever I would ask Owen what he was doing while he laid next to the baby on the carpet he would explain, "Baby, happy", as if telling me that he was there to make the baby happy. Owen is caring, giving, and kind. He gives hugs and kisses to his brothers when they cry or are sad, without being asked. He is just a very sweet boy. Owen also plays by himself and is very smart. I was impressed that at just barely two years old he made the connection that the Nativity and puzzle we had of the nativity matched. All by himself he carried the puzzle over to our table and matched up the characters in a line. There were a couple of swaps, but I was still very impressed.
Ok, he may not like Santa all that much. I think he kept his eyes closed because he was too scared to open them.
And then we get to Baby Happy. I frequently call him our angel baby, because he is by far my best baby. Owen is still learning to sleep through the night. It took Hyrum and Noah both about 3 years before they consistently slept 10+ hours a night. I was ecstatic when Owen slept a 6 hour stretch when he was about 6 months old. I've been afraid to say anything about this because I've been afraid I'll jinx it, but Emmett is . . . sleeping. . . all. . . . night! I'm talking 12 hours a night! He's only 5 months old and thats why I call him my angel baby. He rarely cries, sleeps through the night, eats well, is healthy, and loves his brothers. I couldn't ask for more.
This Christmas I'll count my blessings and find the greatest gifts I could possibly get are already mine. (Corny, yes. True, also yes.)







No comments:
Post a Comment