I love The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I love the relationship that I have gained with Jesus Christ through learning about Him from The Bible, The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, and through His chosen Prophets that speak with him today just like we know He did with Adam, Noah, Moses, Abraham, etc. I believe that the leaders of our church are inspired. I love how the church is organized. We don't have paid clergy, like most churches. Our Bishops (like a Pastor), teachers, clerks, etc. volunteer by way of assignment or what we have named a 'calling'. After much prayer, thought, and often fasting, Heavenly Father prompts our leaders to gift specific members of their congregation (or what we call a ward) a calling. Sometimes the calling really fits the person, and other times the calling may seem odd or difficult, but when we accept the challenge we find our life to be blessed in many ways. About three years ago I was asked to accept the calling to be the 'Marriage and Family Relations' teacher. Um, ok. . . was what I thought. I don't have a perfect marriage. I love my kids and sometimes have awesome parenting moments, but I'm not a parenting expert. I have little parenting experience compared to so many others in my ward with teenagers or the empty nesters with what appears to be perfect children who are having perfect grandchildren. I am uneducated. I tend to babble. . . especially when I'm nervous. I accepted this assignment with faith that I would receive help from above and that the Holy Ghost would guide me. Now, just shy of three years of teaching this class, I still can not claim to be a great teacher, but I can testify to the tender mercies of the Lord. I heard His words come out of my mouth on more than one occasion, and I knew that it was not my intellect, but the Holy Ghost speaking through me to reach my class. I have seen my relationship with my hubby change for the better, and I have become a better mother as I have taught this class. I taught the same 16 week course several times during this period, yet each lesson became new with the different people that attended the class. I loved the variety of life experiences I had to draw from in discussion and comments. I truly feel very blessed to have been taught by so many wonderful people. I was just given a new calling and will no longer be teaching, and a part of me mourns. This is the longest calling I've ever had and I've loved all that I have gained from it, but I am willing to share the blessing of teaching with someone else now as I step back into the realm of uncertainty and putting my trust in the Lord as I move forward in my new calling. As I say goodbye to this calling, I wanted to highlight some of the quotes I've collected that had great meaning to me or to those I taught. I encourage all of you to take this class, and if you've already taken it, than take it again because repetition will help things sink in.
CLICK HERE for the whole participants manual. It is a great thing to read together as a couple!
Here are the inspired and amazing lessons one by one:
CLICK HERE for the teachers manual. It's full of great quotes and activities if you do not have this class available to you.
Strengthening Marriages:
President Spencer W. Kimball, the 12th President of the Church: “Many of the social restraints which in the past have helped to reinforce and to shore up the family are dissolving and disappearing. The time will come when only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1980, 3; or Ensign, Nov. 1980, 4).
“If you build your homes on the foundation rock of our Redeemer and the gospel, they can be sanctuaries where your families can be sheltered from the raging storms of life” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1993, 88; or Ensign,May 1993, 71).
President Gordon B. Hinckley said: “Marriage, in its truest sense, is a partnership of equals, with neither exercising dominion over the other, but, rather, with each encouraging and assisting the other in whatever responsibilities and aspirations he or she might have” ( “I Believe,” Ensign, Aug. 1992, 6).
Elder Richard G. Scott: “In the Lord’s plan, it takes two—a man and a woman—to form a whole. … For the greatest happiness and productivity in life, both husband and wife are needed. Their efforts interlock and are complementary. Each has individual traits that best fit the role the Lord has defined for happiness as a man or woman. When used as the Lord intends, those capacities allow a married couple to think, act, and rejoice as one—to face challenges together and overcome them as one, to grow in love and understanding, and through temple ordinances to be bound together as one whole, eternally. That is the plan” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1996, 101; or Ensign, Nov. 1996, 73–74).
President Spencer W. Kimball: “[Love in marriage] is deep, inclusive, comprehensive. It is not like that association of the world which is misnamed love, but which is mostly physical attraction. When marriage is based on this only, the parties soon tire of one another. … The love of which the Lord speaks is not only physical attraction, but spiritual attraction as well. It is faith and confidence in, and understanding of, one another. It is a total partnership. It is companionship with common ideals and standards. It is unselfishness toward and sacrifice for one another. It is cleanliness of thought and action and faith in God and his program. It is parenthood in mortality ever looking toward godhood and creationship, and parenthood of spirits. It is vast, all-inclusive, and limitless. This kind of love never tires or wanes. It lives on through sickness and sorrow, through prosperity and privation, through accomplishment and disappointment, through time and eternity” (Faith Precedes the Miracle [1972], 130–31).
Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “Husbands and wives, learn to listen, and listen to learn from one another. … Taking time to talk is essential to keep lines of communication intact. If marriage is a prime relationship in life, it deserves prime time! Yet less important appointments are often given priority, leaving only leftover moments for listening to precious partners” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1991, 28; or Ensign, May 1991, 23).
Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: “You want capability, safety, and security … in married life and eternity? Be a true disciple of Jesus. Be a genuine, committed, word-and-deed Latter-day Saint. Believe that your faith has everything to do with your romance, because it does. … Jesus Christ, the Light of the World, is the only lamp by which you can successfully see the path of love and happiness for you and for your sweetheart” (“How Do I Love Thee?”[Brigham Young University devotional address, 15 Feb. 2000], 6).
Parent's Strengthening Families:
Sister Michaelene P. Grassli: “We need to discover who our children really are. We need to know what interests them, what worries them, and what they would do if they had their fondest dreams come true. Nearly always, their fondest dreams are wonderful. We can let children be their own selves and not expect them to be reproductions of their parents. Give them varied experiences so they can discover what interests them, and then encourage these interests and talents—even if they are not the same as yours” (“Teaching Our Children,”Ensign, Apr. 1994, 62).
Elder James E. Faust: One of the most difficult parental challenges is to appropriately discipline children. Child rearing is so individualistic. Every child is different and unique. What works with one may not work with another. I do not know who is wise enough to say what discipline is too harsh or what is too lenient except the parents of the children themselves, who love them most. It is a matter of prayer-ful discernment for the parents. Certainly the overarching and undergirding principle is that the discipline of children must be motivated more by love than by punishment” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1990, 41; or Ensign, Nov. 1990, 34)
President Boyd K. Packer: “Our Father’s plan requires that, like the generation of life itself, the shield of faith is to be made and fitted in the family. No two can be exactly alike. Each must be handcrafted to individual specifications. The plan designed by the Father contemplates that man and woman, husband and wife, working together, fit each child individually with a shield of faith made to buckle on so firmly that it can neither be pulled off nor penetrated by those fiery darts. It takes the steady strength of a father to hammer out the metal of it and the tender hands of a mother to polish and fit it on. Sometimes one parent is left to do it alone. It is difficult, but it can be done. In the Church we can teach about the materials from which a shield of faith is made: reverence, courage, chastity, repentance, forgiveness, compassion. In church we can learn how to assemble and fit them together. But the actual making of and fitting on of the shield of faith belongs in the family circle. Otherwise it may loosen and come off in a crisis” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1995, 8; or Ensign, May 1995, 8).
President Gordon B. Hinckley: “You parents, love your children. Cherish them. They are so precious. They are so very, very important. They are the future. You need more than your own wisdom in rearing them. You need the help of the Lord. Pray for that help and follow the inspiration which you receive” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1995, 120; or Ensign, Nov. 1995, 89).
Neal A. Maxwell: “The gospel of work is part of ‘the fulness of the gospel.’ Though joyful, missionary work is work. Though joyful, temple work is work. Alas, a few of our underwhelmed youth work all right, but mostly at trying to please themselves. …Be careful … when you inordinately desire things to be better for your children than they were for you. Do not, however unintentionally, make things worse by removing the requirement for reasonable work as part of their experience, thereby insulating your children from the very things that helped make you what you are!” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1998, 50; or Ensign, May 1998, 38).
Elder Howard W. Hunter gave the following counsel to parents who have done their best but grieve because of the mistakes of a child: “A successful parent is one who has loved, one who has sacrificed, and one who has cared for, taught, and ministered to the needs of a child. If you have done all of these and your child is still wayward or troublesome or worldly, it could well be that you are, nevertheless, a successful parent. Perhaps there are children who have come into the world that would challenge any set of parents under any set of circumstances. Likewise, perhaps there are others who would bless the lives of, and be a joy to, almost any father or mother” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1983, 94; orEnsign, Nov. 1983, 65).
No comments:
Post a Comment