Before Brett and I got married we discussed our thoughts on Santa vs. no Santa. Now that we’ve been married for nearly 4 years and Hyrum is 2 ½ it’s time for me to rethink the subject. In my mind I’ve seen it as Lies vs. Truth and nothing more. I was never taught to believe in the Big Man and as a child made fun of kids who were ‘deceived’ by lying parents. Brett thinks it’s sad, but I think I was given a healthy dose of truth. Despite what backgrounds Brett and I came from I’ve decided to seek out my real feelings on the subject and record it for posterity.
My biggest argument on the subject has been commercialism and how much Christ is taken out of Christmas, leaving Santa Clause more celebrated and credited for all the joy and spirit of the season. I don’t like it at all. I want our children’s first thoughts when they hear Christmas to be the baby Jesus born under a star in a stable a long time ago. And because of His birth we celebrate by giving gifts like the wise men and putting lights on our house just like the star to light the way. With that said, now I need to give myself a reality check. Hyrum has been going to the nursery in our church for about a year now and usually when we talk about nursery or church, the first thing he says is ‘Toys! Play!’. It isn’t Jesus, Hymns, or scripture stories that come to mind. . . in fact it probably isn’t even the second or third thing he thinks of either. Are we doing something wrong? No. Young children just don’t fully understand circumstance or consequence, they understand instances of gratification. It’s in the first eight years that we teach them habit and right vs. wrong, it’s not until later that the dots of understanding connect the why’s of life. So expecting a child in their first few years to get excited about someone they’ve never met and don’t fully understand might be a bit unrealistic. Santa Clause, however, is a happy grandpa-figure that children can understand. They can sit on his lap and listen to his big laugh and tell him about things that will give them instant gratification. I can see the big appeal. I don’t think believing that there is a person that dedicates his life to giving gifts and bringing happiness is bad. It’s a great example for children to learn selflessness from. I’m okay with introducing this kind of Santa to our kids. I’ll go along with the whole reindeer, North Pole, and chimney elaborations that have been created over time as parents dug themselves deeper into something they didn’t know how to get out of. Basically, I’ve come to the conclusion that I believe in the theory of Santa Clause, and will not be opposed to our children learning and getting excited about him as their hearts and minds prepare to learn and understand more about the true meaning of Christmas.
So, someday when Hyrum comes to me and really wants to know if Santa is real my response will be something like this:
4 comments:
This is great, Stephanie.
Although I like the idea of Santa Claus only so I can bribe my children into being nice. New toys are the ultimate bargaining tool. I only get to do it one month out of the year!! I know. I'm awuful.
You are amazing. Someday I want to grow up to be a little bit like you. Thanks for being you and in our family.
Wow! Good story about the real Santa. I really liked your thoughts and inputs.
I loved loved this post---it's been on my mind for a while too, because I'm not real happy with the idea of telling her Santa's not real, but would hate to have the experience that niece did when she found out that Santa is really mom and dad: "Well mom, if Santa's not real, how do I know if Jesus is real?" Wow. Pretty insightful (and scary) for a 7 year old to make that observation. So I've decided I'm just not going to make a big deal about Santa...I haven't "taught" her about who Santa is and what he does, but of course she's learned it from friends, movies, etc. Our holiday magic will focus a lot more on family traditions and Baby Jesus instead of Santa, and I'll deal with the belief in Santa as it comes. Loved your thoughts!
Post a Comment