Sunday, July 17, 2011

Georgia, Georgia! (part1)

     We were so happy to go visit our good friends Lee and Jaclyn in Georgia last week!  It was our first time in Georgia and such a fun experience.  First observation:  Humidity is a beast!!!! Second observation:  Georgia is GREEN!!!  Everything was so lush and beautiful, it was hard to believe that cities could exist anywhere with so much dense forest everywhere. Our preferred rental car upon arriving was not available so we got the next best thing.  Brett was excited and in love. . . I, on the other hand, don't see the appeal in squished cars:). 
I had no idea that so much of our Civil War history occurred so close to their home in Georgia.  We could have stayed for weeks to see all the sights.  Being pregnant, and having four kids (ages 1,2,3, and 4 -perfect spacing) along with us, we decided to pick one activity each day.  On one of the days we visited the Marietta Fire Department.  It has a fun little museum with old historic fire trucks, helmets, and other cool things.  I think the best part of it was when one of the firefighters decided to make the kid's day.  He let them see a bunch of their cool tools, get into a rescue truck, push some of the buttons, play on the pole, etc.  The boys are still talking about it:)  I had Hyrum go potty before we left and he kept saying, "I went potty in a firemans toilet. I washed my hands with special fireman soap.  I . . . ".  The simplicity of joys in a 4 year olds mind:)
Lee and Jaclyn's house was incredibly beautiful, with crown molding all throughout, a finished garage, and southern quaintness that made us feel like we were staying in a fancy cabin the whole time.  We did, however, spend  a good amount of time outside too.  The kids had a lot of fun together playing.  They were cute little 'cousins' and got along really well.  I LOVED all the yummy grilled food they cooked up for us. . . mmmmm.  I just might post some of their recipes as we try them out here. 
I was amazed at how many historic sights were so close to their home.  We visited a really cool confederate cemetery.  I learned a lot about the civil war.  Some things just don't translate fully in a text book, but standing in the places they occurred and walking on grounds where battles were fought really changed my outlook.  It was so interesting to be surrounded in the Confederate 'culture' and how they see it not as a war of race, but of loosing their way of privileged life handed down to them for generations.  It was just very interesting how so many confederate flags still adorn polls, graves, and monuments everywhere.  It was a bit of a surprise to see right after celebrating the 4th.
Here one of the final battles were fought before we gained control of Atlanta.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I LOVE going back east to see the greenery! The west is so brown!

How neat that you got to see some cool sights as well as spending time with your friends!