This has been a long time in the making, (literally months!) but our kitchen is finally complete! When we were first looking at houses about 2 1/2 years ago I was almost due with Noah and didn't want to waste my energy looking at a house that didn't excite me in the pictures. This house was one of those 'blah' houses because of the kitchen. I love spending time in the kitchen and I hated the picture. Brett convinced me to overlook the kitchen and just take a look. I fell in love (minus the kitchen of course). We decided that we would agree to plan a little fixing up to make it more of a happy place for me to be in. This was the year!
Here's what we did:
The counter-tops were laminate now they are granite. The sink is now twice as deep as it once was and I'm much happier with our new faucet. The cabinets were black and now they are antiqued-white. We replaced all the doors with new ones that were already a glazed white. We painted the base and upper cabinet frames white and tediously hand glazed them to match the doors. Brett installed new lights. Upon removing the old ones he discovered they were only being held in by two small screws and easily could have fallen on our heads at any moment, so he installed the new lights properly. What once was wall now has a tile back-splash. All the knobs and pulls are different and just what I want now. Brett and I love projects, and this one definitely taught us a lot for future projects: some things are worth paying the extra money to have someone else do them, shopping around and asking for discounts is great, don't remove the doors until the replacements are ready to install, and a beautiful kitchen = a happy women! Oh, and someday I need to learn how to take good indoor pictures, I can never seem to get them sharp looking. Just use your imagination or come on over and take a peak if you want.:)
During the whole lighting exchange we also put in some ceiling fans in our living room. Brett is super handy and did a lot of work. Props go to the man that does the work and pays the bills too! Thank you Brett for my best Birthday, Christmas, Hannakah, Valentines Day. . . present ever!!!!
Here is our kitchen mid-remodel. Yes, our kitchen looked just like this for almost 2 months without doors. Very convenient, but also kind of annoying for the world to see everything we keep in our cupboards (I did invest in a few baskets for smaller things to make it look a little less scary)
And here's the grand finale:
BEFORE
AFTER
(You can't really see the antiquing in my pictures. I love having the glaze on there though, because it hides spills and dirt that the boys make on a daily basis)
(You can't really see the antiquing in my pictures. I love having the glaze on there though, because it hides spills and dirt that the boys make on a daily basis)
BEFORE
(Our sink was really shallow and so after eating breakfast it would look like we had a loud of dishes to do. Our faucet was also so low that we could never really fill up any of our pitchers.)
(Our sink was really shallow and so after eating breakfast it would look like we had a loud of dishes to do. Our faucet was also so low that we could never really fill up any of our pitchers.)
AFTER
(Believe it or not, there were actually 3 cereal bowls, two large cups, and a vase in the sink while I took this picture. Ahhhh, I love deep sinks for hiding stuff:)
(Believe it or not, there were actually 3 cereal bowls, two large cups, and a vase in the sink while I took this picture. Ahhhh, I love deep sinks for hiding stuff:)
I love how everything turned out and I am SOOO excited to finally cross of my first thing on my Baby Boy countdown to-do list!
Now Brett and the boys have started our next project to cross off my list. . . I'll keep you posted:)
4 comments:
It looks amazing! I love white cabinets. They make kitchens look big and clean.
You guys are always so ambitious with your projects -- I think that's great! The kitchen looks fantastic. I love the new sink and the tile back splash!
It looks beautiful! Can't wait to have a kitchen of my own someday that I can spruce up a bit!
I LOOOOOVVVVVEEE IT! Way to go! I always said that I will have a deep sink and one that is continuous with the countertop, like you've done. I'm so sick of on-campus housing! One day we'll be able to live as grown-ups with our own house rules :)
Post a Comment