Brett and my birthday are only 3 days apart (Sept 5th, and the 8th), and so we usually have some kind of combined celebration. Last Friday we decided to cash in a lot of our gift certificates I get for giving my opinion to Valpak. We started the day off by getting a $50 super-chocolate cake from Magleby's. Brett had a little party at work and all the guys had cake. After work, we invited Brett's brother Ryan and his family for dinner and bowling (on us:) at Fat Cats. That was really fun. Brett shocked us all with his mad bowling skills! He only missed 5 pins total and bowled 156! I don't understand how playing the Wii at work can get you to be so good. I think I broke 50, and that was exciting for me. We all ate some of the cake. It was a really fun day, but the best part was only having to fork out $1.24 all day. Thank you Valpak for giving me lots of random gift certificates! Oh, and just so you know Brett finally finished the cake off today before the BYU game. . . it was just so huge! Now we are both 26. . . how did that happen. I feel like this last year just flew by.
So, I had a huge affirmation for needing to quit my job at the salon. Before I tell you what it was, I need to give you a little background. And I am honestly not saying these things to sound boastful or anything, but merely so you can understand why I was so upset. I started working at David Douglas Salon nearly 3 years ago. The salon had just opened up in the Riverwoods and I thought it looked promising. When I started there was Dave (the owner), Julie (the manager), one nail tech, one other hairstylist, and me. We were all pretty tight because we were such a small group. I discussed business ideas with Dave and often worked the desk for Julie when she couldn't. I started with nearly no clientel and spent a lot of time advertising for Dave and also individually. In the beginning I was making about $20-$40 a week! I kept with it though, because I knew that once I got a client basis I would be fine. By the time I was almost due with Hyrum I was working 20-30 hours a week making $25-30/hr. Dave had me write up a list of 'how to keep your clients and be successful' so that he could give it to the other girls. The salon was just starting to move somewhere. I've been at the salon longer than any other hairstylist. I've been there through 3 managers, dozens of receptionists, and easily 100 stylists who have started and quit. Anyway, back to my affirmation. I went to give my 2 weeks notice to the manager this last week and his response was "I need to call Dave, because I don't know how to figure out your deposit." He got on the phone, told me what Dave had decided and that was it. . . NOTHING!!! I wasn't expecting a band to play or weeping and wailing, but I at least was expecting some curiosity as to why. He didn't ask or say anything. He just went on with what he was doing and I walked away from him reminded why I dislike that salon so much. The only reason I have stayed there for so long is because I love my clients. I will miss my clients because they've become so close to me. I'll miss hearing their stories and asking about their family. But, I am grateful that I will be rid of this bad aura I got at work. It may have been harder for me to make this transition had my manager actually pretended to be nice for once. Now I feel really good about being done. Yay for Brett again!!!! I will never have to work outside of the home again! I love making motherhood my full time, all the time job.
So, we took the bumper out of the crib, because Hyrum was always pushing it way down or lifting it up to fit things underneath. Brett went down last night and found Hyrum asleep like this. We thought it was so funny! Oh, and don't worry, after the picture we moved him around.
5 comments:
You go girl! I'm glad you were able to finally get out of that job - I guess I'll have to keep your hair fixing hands busy when you come down to visit. Just kidding . . .No, but seriously my hair really needs help. See you soon.
Yay!! I'm so happy for you! Congrats to Brett on the Job, and to you on being able to quit. Seriously, that's so exciting. and I can't remember if I commented on the house...but it looks really good! Good luck with the construction. Is it strange that it's both fun and hard for me to look at your blog because it just makes me miss ya'll lots. :)
Good for you Stephanie. Yeah working in that environment is not very healthy and your much better off with out it. Oh Happy Birthday to you and Brett. Congrats to Brett. Can't wait for you guys to move down here. Lots of parties.
oh my gosh! jessica and i got our hair done at david douglas, and the girl that did my hair was a TERRIBLE excuse for a human being. sh-something. she charged me an arm and a leg, talked about me behind my back because she misunderstood what my appointment was for, told me she had another client right after me so she was upset, and it turns out it was her mom, and then she dyed my hair essentially black and white instead of a light/medium brown with blonde highlights that was all supposed to blend in together. so way to quit because something isn't right there! and YAY for being a stay at home mom. :) how lucky!!
ok that picture of hyrum sleeping is too funny! my mom has pictures of me sleeping like that when i was a baby too. weird?
Post a Comment