December is my favorite month of the year. I love the music, the anticipation, the preparation, the family time, etc. One of the biggest perks of working for Adobe is that the whole company closes its doors for two weeks surrounding Christmas. Paid vacation without using any vacation days is awesome! We decided to celebrate this year by spending Brett’s time off in Arizona with the Partridge crew. Just before we left, however we had to make a trip to meet Santa to explain that his delivery would need to be made at Grandma and Grandpa’s house.
The boys were great on the drive down and they absolutely LOVED spending so much time with their cousins. I had some fun with my scissors and clippers. Brett even convinced me to go a little bit crazy on his hair (don’t worry it lasted for less than 5 minutes)
We also got to go caroling to Great Grandma and Grandpa’s house on the eve of Christmas Eve. Thank goodness for Cassi helping to entertain the mob of little people
It’s been a while since I last went caroling, but caroling was a Rushton tradition I remember doing every year for as long as I can remember. The tradition began in 1843 in Nauvoo. My ancestor, Lettice Rushton was a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from England. She was a mother of ten children who became blind from cataracts five years before she was baptized. She immigrated to Nauvoo to be with the other saints. I can only imagine what kind of woman she was, who while blind still managed to come to the US and travel with the Saints and keep a positive attitude. On Christmas morning 1843 in the cold Nauvoo weather she, along with her family and neighbors, went to the house of Joseph Smith the Prophet and sang. In the History of the Church, 6:134 it’s recorded Joseph Smith speaking of the event: “which caused a thrill of pleasure to run through my soul.” The music so moved him that he “felt to thank … Heavenly Father for their visit, and blessed them in the name of the Lord.” It was fun going with the Partridge family and being reminded of my family tradition. The boys also got to make the traditional gingerbread house.
No comments:
Post a Comment