Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer schedule

I'm feeling like this baby will be coming very soon, so I wanted to update the blog in case I don't have a chance to later.  I'll be honest, I have not been very active since the boys have been out of school.  I usually love to go on walks with the boys and race them around, and I feel bad that I spend most of my time sitting on my camping chair on the front lawn and just watch them.  Maybe by the end of summer I'll be back to myself again.  I love feeling this little man inside of me kicking away.  We can't wait to meet him.  He's going to be very loved and likely smothered with kisses, zerberts, and snuggles from his brothers.  Here's a few things we've been doing while we wait for Mystery Baby (or the boys often call him Fishy).   
Summer School has been very successful so far.  The boys love earning tickets.  I've tried to make it all about the rewards of working and time spent rather than merely what was accomplished.  Hyrum has actually worked harder at summer school than he usually did with his kindergarten homework.  I think he does a lot better when he doesn't feel as much pressure.  Everyday for summer school we set aside about 30 minutes. During that time they each have a bin of learning activities and flashcards that they can choose to do.  They get one ticket for working on those for 15 minutes.  Hyrum can also choose to write a story with a picture for a ticket.  Then we read together for 15-20 minutes, which they earn a ticket for.  If they read a book to me they get another ticket.  
We haven't gone to a lot of parks this summer yet, but this week we did drive to this really nice one a mile or two away.  The boys had a blast.  

In case you can't tell Owen has no problem climbing in and on everything.  I was pretty impressed that he just climbed up this big toy with out any problems or hesitations.  He's quite the daredevil.  
With the baby coming and Owen starting to swing himself out of his crib, we've moved him into a big boy bed.  It's been a little bit of a struggle for him, but it's starting to get better.  We're hoping all will be well with his sleep schedule by the time Mystery Baby gets here.  Brett has been great to get up with him every night/morning.  Owen is such a Daddy's boy and I love how much he loves him.   
In other big news, Noah decided that he wanted to ride on two wheels like Hyrum.  He was determined and kept practicing.  Now he's a big boy just like Hyrum.  It's fun watching the two boys ride up and down the sidewalks and race.   


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, way to go, Noah!

And you shouldn't feel at all bad about sitting in your camping chair and watching the boys play outside! Besides the fact that you are about a week from having a baby, they are still having just as much fun and getting as much exercise as if you did a more "structured" activity with them.

I love your summer school structure. I am always so impressed at what a hands-on, amazing mom you are!