Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oral hygiene for a one year old. . . that's funny

So, I realize that I'm admitting to all of you that I am not a very good mom. . . but, hey, I do the best I can right. Our pediatrician mentioned to us a while ago that it's important to brush Hyrums teeth with an infant brush and water twice a day. I know the importance of taking care of teeth. I am one of the odd people in the world who loves going to the dentist. It would be easier for me to count the number of days in the past month that I haven't flossed than I have. I take great care of my teeth. With that as a disclaimer I will shout out that I have been at a loss of what to do with Hyrum. When a toothbrush would come near him at all he would turn his head, shut his mouth tightly and try and get away. With that attitude even attempting to make contact to his lips with the brush was near impossible, and it made for very sad times. Because of that, we just stopped trying as much. Every few days I would try, but it didn't usually work. Now, I get to the good part: I was in Babys R Us on Monday when I saw this: I decided to try it out and SUCCESS!!!! Finally! It's not toothpaste so it's safe for my little guy. I can't say that I'm able to do a perfect brushing, but since I've gotten it we've been able to stick the brush in his mouth twice a day and move it around a little bit. I feel like a great thing has been accomplished. I just hope that it's enough that his teeth won't rot off. Luckily the first set is just the practice set. Let's hope he has some good habbits by the time he starts growing his adult teeth.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey Stephanie! I was blog stalking and through a trail of blogs I found you. It's so fun for me to find old Alta friends; those were such great years. Hope you guys are getting settled in AZ and loving it.

ecometrochic said...

Ah, the joys of toothbrushing! We sign a song about brushing our teeth and buy Burt's Bees Toddler toothpaste w/o flouride and we still struggle...

Suzie said...

He wont even put it in his mouth if he is the one doing the work? I remember Summer always grabbing my toothbrush when she was very little. I would let her have it and she would mimic me. Pretty fun. We haven't had much luck with teeth though. Tooth paste has never been a problem getting it into their mouths, I have a problem keeping it up high enough so I don't find them constantly eating it. They will let me floss their teeth, just making the time is my hardship. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

that's so funny we just started brushing preston's teeth...well basically he just chews on a too brush:)...

Rushton Family said...

I sooo feel your pain about brushing of the teeth. For a while, it was the worst part of my day. It does get easier!! I'm loving your new template. I might have to copy you.

Asherbie said...

Hey stephanie, glad to hear about the breakthrough. Although we struggle often, I have found asking Megan what different animals she knows ("what does a horsey say?) makes her open her mouth a bit more for those hard to reach areas. Wish I could love going to the dentist...