Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sweet and Sour Pork

My mom wanted me to post the recipe from my date night dinner in the last post. The recipe is from Marjorie Hinckley in her book Small and Simple Things. It's really good. More on the sweet side than sour which is how I like it, although it's not the quickest meal to make, so plan time to make it.

1 lb. pork (cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 Tbsp., 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp. flour
1 egg white
pinch of salt + -
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1 sliced green pepper
1 cucumber (cut in long strips)
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
4 Tbsp. catsup

Mix pork with 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, flour, egg white, and salt. Fry in deep, hot fat(I just used oil) until brown, set aside. (When I was done I just put it in our strainer and it just sat in the sink)

For sauce, combine sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch. Stir into vinegar and water. Whisk to remove any lumps. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Set aside.

Heat another pan. Using 3 Tbsp. oil, saute onion, carrot, pepper, and cucumber. Don't overcook, they should remain rather crisp.

Combine pineapple, the sauteed vegetables, the fried pork, and the sweet and sour sauce. Stir in tomato catsup. Mix thoroughly and serve hot with rice.

No comments: