Saturday, January 16, 2010

Things that are important

This morning the boys and I were playing in the basement, and I was overwhelmed with love for them and sorrow for all of the torn families in Haiti. I felt sympathy for those Mothers searching for their children, alone and afraid. I thought of the scripture in Jeremiah 31:15 that says:

Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.”

I have never experienced anything in my life that would cause me true, deep sorrow, and I hope I never will. This horrific event has made me really think about what I have and what is most important to me. These people had little to claim as their own other than family, and now many people have lost even that. How do they go on? How can they start over? I hope to never have to answer those questions for myself.

I sit on a comfortable couch, in front of our flat screen TV in our big warm house. Our movie collection needs to be re-alphabetized, my closet needs to be re-organized, and my hair needs to be colored . . . all stuff that, when it really comes down to it doesn’t matter. The most important thing right now is gratitude. I am filled with love for my Lord and Savior, and for the Faith that I have in Him and his ultimate grace that will save me when I stand before my Eternal Father and offer Him what I am and the best efforts I have put forward. In that day I will stand alone without worldly possessions, without the clutter of ‘to-do’ lists. My one companion and help when all else is left behind will be Jesus and I am grateful to know Him and believe in Him. I am filled with love and gratitude for Brett and our two beautiful boys. They are everything to me. Brett is my Eternal Companion, help, guide, and friend. With the event of the earthquake in Haiti I realize that I spend the majority of my time doing or talking about the ‘stuff’ that just doesn’t matter and I want to be sure that I spend more time each day on the essentials of true happiness. With that said I encourage anyone who reads this to take some time to thank God in prayer for all that you have. When the fast food line is going to slow, when commercials are taking too long, or when the internet isn’t connecting quite fast enough . . . please pause and be grateful.

I had to explain to Hyrum why I started to cry while we were playing this morning. I told him we needed to stop and pray for some friends far away that have owies and can’t find their Mommies or Daddies. We knelt and prayed for them. Remember the people of Haiti in your prayers too.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing!

Jaclyn said...

Amen, sister. Beautifully put and truly touching. Thank you for the reminder.

Cassi said...

Thank you for reminding me what is truly important.

kami said...

i loved this post. thank you!