Sunday, September 12, 2010

The beast


I mentioned in the Spring how we had spent countless hours in the backyard attempting to reclaim it from its wild roots. It has been a LONG process, and there's still work to be done next spring, but we're really happy with the progress. I had to post some pictures now that we finally have something to show for it.
Before's:
I love Lilac bushes, but we had three planted in a small garden area. They were about 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. The bees were so bad that I didn't like the boys playing in the backyard last year.
Pretty much all of our backyard grass areas looked like this. It was full of spiky weeds!
Afters:
I was amazed that Brett was able to turn a weed pit into beautiful green grass!
The boys now have their own worm digging garden where one of the lilacs was before. They love finding treasures!
And here's the happiest reward! Where the other 2 lilacs were we planted 6 baby watermelon. They've grown beautifully and have reaching vines all over our metal frame now. We've found two tiny watermelons growing! I realize with a frost coming soon they won't survive, but the fact that something grew (from a seed) just makes me ecstatic!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your yard looks great!

We did watermelon the first year we had out garden. A few little ones grew, but they never got big enough to even try to eat!

Hina Schneider said...

I love this before and after that you have done with your yard. Its absolutely beautiful and perfect.

Jason & Naomi said...

That looks so great! You have always been so good to take before/after pics. I always think about it half-way through a job is done. Bummer! Anyway, I'm working on that video for you of Cambry! Stay tuned...