Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tried and True-sday

Here's the next and super yummy edition of my weekly recipe post. I got this recipe from a friend in our ward (Tara Turner). It is SOOO good! It's one of those meals that Brett actually doesn't mind having as leftovers for the whole week. . . if you know Brett that says A LOT. This is also what I served at the little Jimkeepers gathering. When I first made it I was a little grossed out about putting the Velveeta in it, but trust me, it makes it better. The recipe is supposed to be a remake of the Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup, but according to Brittany Chili's wasn't nearly as good:) Enjoy and be sure to let me know if you try it out.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil

1 lb. chicken breast fillet

½ cup diced onion

1 clove garlic, pressed

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup masa harina (corn flour)

3 cups water

1 cup enchilada sauce

16 oz. velveeta

½-1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. chili powder

½ tsp. cumin

Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, corn tortilla chips, pico de gallo, corn, black beans

Add 1 Tbsp. of oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side, shred, and set chicken aside.

Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent. Add chicken broth.

Combine corn flour with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Add mixture to pot with onions, garlic, and broth. Add remaining 1 cup water, enchilada sauce, cheese, and spices to pot and bring to a boil. (Stir frequently, it scorches easily)

Add chicken to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.


5 comments:

christina said...

sounds delicious.

my kids don't eat soup {crazy, i know} but i may have to try this anyway!




-c

Cassi said...

mmmmm....We love soup at our house. I'll have to not reveal the ingredients though, or Chris might not eat it!

Suzie said...

I'm all about soup when it gets cold outside so I'll be trying this out for sure.

kami said...

that was yummy soup!! i wonder how it'd work out if you just substituted cheddar cheese for the velveeta?

Brett said...

Not sure how that substitution would change the consistency (probably not much) but using cheddar cheese would add about 600 more calories and about 50 more grams of fat (total, not per serving).