Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Whirlwind

This was our first attempt at taking our own family pictures with our timer and tripod. It was a bit exhausting, and the sun was too bright, but we made it out with a handful of 'acceptable' pictures out of over 100. This is one of the duds, but for some reason I still like it. . . It just looks like this is us how we are. After tweaking some of them I'll post the finalists.
Hyrum's prize for potty training was to go fishing. We bought him a toy fishing rod over a month ago. . . he's been potty trained for two months now. We kind of hoped that using the fishing rod in the back yard would be sufficient. This week he remembered. Every day, out of nowhere, he would say, "Mom! We forgot go fishing with Dad with fishing rod. Go to lake and catch fish!" So, we promised him we would go on Saturday morning. (Yes, it rained. Yes, I had been throwing up the day before. Yes, the boys loved it.)
When Hyrum realized that he wasn't catching any real fish he told us that we needed to get higher up. So, he and Noah stood up in flung their line and net into the grass. I just love Noah's expression. . .I really wonder what he's thinking. Hyrum was pretty disappointed that he didn't get to take a fish home to eat. Maybe someday.
The stomach flu decided to visit us this week. . . all of us:( Luckily the boys didn't get sick until later in the afternoon of the fishing trip. We all spent today (Sunday) at home. I was the resident nurse. Most of the day was spent sitting/laying on the couch rotating between a church documentary, Agent Oso, and MythBusters. We did take an hour 'break' for a few science experiments. The boy's favorite was Jumping Raisins (Sprite with a few raising). They loved watching them sink and then pop back up.
P.S. Because I was sick on Friday, Brett got up with the boys on Saturday and I slept in until 9!!! Oh, I needed it and it was wonderful! Not only did he give me the greatest gift of sleep but when I came downstairs the boys were on their chairs at the counter helping Dad make pancakes. Hyrum says the cutest things so I wrote down some of his quotes during the Saturday morning surprise. When I first came downstairs the first thing Hyrum said to me: "Mom! Would you like join us? We making cupcakes(evidently that was his preferred reality)" Here is some more Hyrum: "Please have big syrup, Dad? . . . that syrup is perfect." He loves explaining and teaching how to do things, so after the prayer he said, " I fold my arms. Then I squeeze my arms. Then I fold my arms. Then I close my eyes. . . but I not go to sleep."

3 comments:

christina said...

Adorable.

Ayla is an explainer, too.



-c

Jennifer said...

Where did you go for the pictures? Looks cute! Can't wait to see the rest.

You are such a good mom . . . I never thought to entertain my kids with such fun science experiments!

Jason & Naomi said...

I ditto Jennifer's response. You always were a little more intuitive when it came to things like that than I ever was. Oh well, that's why we make friends with such great people so we can take their ideas and call them our own! :) P.S. I miss your boys! Hyrum is super cute!