Friday, November 19, 2010

Mom's Favorite Special Book

When I was 9 years old the company my Dad was working for went under and the job market was not looking very good. He searched for months to find someplace that would be right for all of us. It was a hard time on the family. I remember how stressed my parents were and how we mostly ate out of our food storage. Things were very tight. Things were often tight, but I never fully felt the effects of it as much as I did that year. My Dad was finally able to find a job in Iowa, of all places. We were all happy at the thought of not having to eat another jar of peaches or beans from our storage everyday, but the thought of moving to Iowa was a bit of a shock. My brother and Dad moved there first so that Dan could start up with basketball season in the High School, and to look for a house for us to live. That Christmas would be without my Dad and brother. I was pretty sad about the whole family not being together since my oldest sister and brother were also serving missions. Then over dinner my Mom let my two
older sisters and me know that with moving preparations underway and finances still pretty tight we would not have a tree or store bought presents this year. We were encouraged to make something with what we could find in the house. It was hard, but I understood. We spent a lot of time in thanks to Heavenly Father for blessing my Dad with a job.
When Christmas morning came, we didn't make any efforts to wake up before dawn. My mom however was up early making a yummy breakfast (A Christmas tradition that will always be appreciated). We saw stockings sitting on the couch which made me really excited because I wasn't sure if they would be packed up already. Our stockings always had one or two oranges, and a Lifesavers different flavor pack, some shelled nuts, socks, and candy. . .or at least that's what I would always remember. For some reason I was very protective of my oranges. One year I remember keeping them under my pillow so my older siblings couldn't take them from me. Anyway, my Mom than let us know that Dad sent us a special package from Iowa. Inside were a few small presents and one big wrapped thing for each of us girls. I remember crying. When I opened it I was so excited to see a big book called The Wizard of Oz. It was the most beautiful book I had ever seen in my life. It was big, with a hard cover, and had lots of amazing pictures inside. I was sure that this book had to have been worth a fortune and so I took very good care of it. It's probably the only thing that I have kept from my youth. This book reminds me to be thankful for what I have. It reminds me of the year that we trusted in the Lord for everything, and we had enough. It reminds me of the true meaning of Christmas. I've kept the book displayed somewhere in the boys room up high so they can't reach it. Over the past year Hyrum has gotten to it a few times and once ripped one of the pages slightly. I was pretty upset and had to explain to him that he had to be extra careful with this book because it was a very special book. Well, about a month ago, before bed, Hyrum asked Brett, "Please read Mom's favorite special book?". . . So, the reading began. It's not an easy child read. It is slightly condensed from the original, but still 96 pages long. (Some of the more violent parts of the story had to be carefully edited by us.) Hyrum LOVED it! It's not often that he will just sit and listen. . . ok, it's VERY rare. But every night before bed he would sit quietly and listen to the book, stare at the pictures, and even ask question. I think reading this book will be a tradition. I am so thankful for every experience and tradition that teach us to grow closer together as a family and closer to God. Thank you Mom and Dad for making that my favorite Christmas of all time.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful. And I love that Hyrum clearly loves something because he knows it is special to his mother!

Jaclyn said...

what a sweet story!!! thanks so much for sharing. it was so touching!

Cassi said...

As I have approached this Christmas season, I've actually not been too excited. I think it's because of all the commercialism of Christmas. Thank you for your post for reminding me of the important meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Brenna said...

Wow, I never had a clue that your family went through that before your move to our great state. I sure am glad he found that job there; having you as a friend made a huge impact on me. Infact, after hearing those circumstances and knowing how similar our backgrounds were I kind of wonder if the Lord had your whole family placed there just to help me.

P.S. That book is BEAUTIFUL.

Hina Schneider said...

OMG! This is such a sad and uplifting story. Thanks for sharing. This really made me think about how I really need to be more appreciative for just the small things I have and not be so needy for the big things. Thanks again for your post.

mindy said...

what a sweet post, steph.
I remember when you guys moved, and not liking that you all wouldn't be there for the family gatherings. I can only imagine how hard it was for all of you. What a sweet memory of a hard transition--very touching!