Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tried and True-sday: Health

For the past year Brett and I have been on a quest to live a healthier lifestyle. I can't say that we're total health nuts or that we don't have our trips to fast food places occasionally, but we have made some changes. It was always my belief that freezers were intended to hold ice cream and a house is not a home without baked goods easily available. It was normal to make a huge batch of cookies every other week. . . and if not cookies than we would have brownies, cupcakes, or whatever else I was in the mood to bake. . . oh and don't forget the ice cream that always made the best garnish to any meal. Well, the idea was to not cut everything out but to just cut back. We now pretty much only buy ice cream for the freezer on birthdays. I've cut back to baking cookies about every other month. (By the way, Holiday Season - so far you've been winning the treat war, but I intend to get back at you:) We've tried to add healthier things to our menu. We've also been going to the gym. With those 'small' changes I've decided to call it the 2010 -20. I lost 20 pounds. It wasn't a crash course diet but a year of small changes, and I hope that these small things will only continue to improve our lives. On a side note: I have NEVER been athletic or fit in any way and I recently ran my first mile with out walking on the treadmill. . . I have to give props to myself and a shout out to anyone like me who has never dreamed of running a mile. It's possible! Anyway, enough of the health testimonial. Let's get down to business: As long as I am doing these recipes on Tuesdays I will occasionally be adding in a 'True to your Health' recipe. The one I chose for today is a YUMMMY treat that no one will know is actually good for you. . .. shhhh, don't tell. The recipe also can be made with a few yummy, but less healthy ingredients too. You choose how healthy you want it to be. This was a recipe given to me from a friend that I attend a recipe club with. I've made a few little additions.
Thanks Risa! Enjoy:
(Fall means comfort food, pumpkin, and hot chocolate)

Pumpkin Muffins
¾ cup raisins, dates, or chocolate chips
1 cup all purpose flour*
1 cup whole wheat flour*
½ cup ground flax seed*
1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend**
¾ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds

*can use 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
**can use 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pans (makes 18 muffins). Soak raisins in hot water for ten minutes to plump, then drain. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce, until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to make a smooth batter. Stir the raisins (or chocolate chips) and walnuts into the batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Note: I actually realized I was out of eggs when I started making this recipe. I found out that Flax is an awesome egg substitute. You just put one Tbsp Flax and 3 Tbsp. water in a bowl and let it sit for 2 minutes to equal one egg.

Happy Baking!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

You look great -- way to go on losing 20 pounds!

mindy said...

wow, that's awesome! great tips, thanks steph! And from another who doesn't like to run--congrats!!! you rock!

kami said...

yum! way to go!! you are amazing. isn't it incredible how doing lots of little things adds up? i also hate running...i think one mile would be a big feat for me too considering i can't run more than 30 seconds :) good work!

Hina Schneider said...

Good for you guys. That's soooo awesome. Jefferson and I are on that same path of trying to eat healthy and working out. Its really hard but the afterward is great!

Margot said...

This looks really good. I love the flax seed substitute for eggs; I always use it for muffins and pancakes.