Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tried and True-sday

I had three recipes that I REALLY wanted to post today, but after a minor internal debate the recipe that won out is a Thanksgiving tradition(Ok, it's only my second year making it, but traditions have to start somewhere.) that will tantalize your taste buds, expand your belt, and leave a grin on your face begging for more. . .well, maybe I exaggerative a little bit, but it can't be that far off. I had never heard of this before until I married Brett. He informed me a couple of years ago that while serving his mission in England he discovered a LOVE for banana cream pie. But, it's not traditional banana cream pie. After some research I found a recipe for an English dessert called Banoffee. This was the one. Although it takes quite a bit of time to make the steps are quite simple and the results are yummilicious! Warning: this is VERY rich, so very thin, small slices are plenty. Happy Cooking! and Happy Thanksgiving!
(Here's a birds eye view before adding the whipped cream:)

Banoffee Pie
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons + butter, softened
2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
3 large bananas
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecans optional
opt: grated chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix graham cracker crumbs with softened butter and press mixture into 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes. To create toffee filling, caramelize the sweetened condensed milk. Put unopened cans in a pot with water and boil it for about 4 hours on medium heat with lid on. Add water when running low, just be sure cans are always covered. About half way through the time take cans out with oven mits and shake them. When cooled, open cans upside down and over the pie crust, because sometimes it will shoot out. Once both the crust and toffee filling are cooled slice the bananas, fold into carmel filling. Pour filling onto crust and then place any remaining bananas over it. Cover the top with nuts. Whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and spread on top of toffee filling and bananas. For aesthetics you can grate chocolate over the whipped cream just before serving. Store in fridge.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sounds so delicious!

Next time just go ahead and post all 3 recipes -- I won't complain!