When we first bought our house (almost two years ago! Wow time flies) I really liked the boys room. The walls were the same sand color as most of the house but it had a thick red stripe on the upper third of the wall. I thought it was pretty cool. . . until it came time to hang anything. It seemed like a weird height to put anything on the walls without it looking weird. And when we did put a shelf up we realized the stripe was actually not level. Anyway, I've been wanting to re-do the boys room for a while and so I decided to make a goal of having it done before the end of the year. At the beginning of the year Noah was in a crib and Hyrum was in a cool big boy bed. Now the crib is stored and we sold Hyrum's bed on KSL classifieds (an awesome free online classifieds for the area! I love it!) I wanted their room to look nice but also be a place that I wouldn't be upset if things broke. So, we bought their dresser and storage ottomans off people on KSL for a great deal. I got some great thrift store finds, and we decided to make inexpensive art part of their room. I hit the Joanne's Black Friday deals and got some great canvas' and
paint that the boys can create art on. The thing I love about canvas is that it's hard to break and they can recreate their art every year. My Mom is an artist and I want to be sure that our boys have an appreciation for art.
First I want to give my mom a little plug. CLICK HERE to see her gallery. This is one of my favorite pictures my Mom has painted:

So I look funny in this pic but I love how diligent the boys were. They had SO much fun!
Here's the art up. We did two tones of brown on the walls. And, please don't judge the fact that I painted the white branches on top of their art. After they finished I realized that it was so dark that they kind of blended into the wall too much. Hyrum likes it. He said, "Look! A tree growing on my picture!" Brett did an awesome job hanging their names up! Oh, and why do I seem to always make indoor pictures blurry? Even though it's blurry I had to use this picture because both of the boys are swinging their lassos (Brett's boot shoelaces). This is a daily occurrence:) Sorry, Brett.
The old beds got traded in for bunk beds! They've done really well in them. And we got an awesome deal at a furniture warehouse place.
This was my art contribution:
6 comments:
Their room looks great! I love that you let them paint their own art for their room. And I'm amazed that the bunk beds have been so successful. I know my boys would use them as launchpads if we had bunk beds.
You're such a nice mom!
When Brooklyn asks if she can hang stuff up in her room I tell her she can do whatever she wants when she has her OWN house or else hang it up on the fridge. I'm so mean. I know. I know.
-c
You are a great decorator -- the room looks great! I love the tone-on-tone palm tree.
When I first read the title of the post and then saw the winter doves, I was a little confused but then I continued reading. :) Your mom is REALLY good! I didn't know she was that artistically talented! Good job on the paintings! I hope someday when we get a real job I can decorate with cool things like that too!
SUPER CUTE ROOM. LOVE IT!
So cute! I love it.
Post a Comment