Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas

Every Christmas I spend so much time worrying that I haven't taught my boys enough about the Savior. Do they know what Christmas is really all about? Do they understand that the gifts are such a minor part of the celebration? Do they know that our love for them is only a shadow of a greater love from their Heavenly Father? Have we told them enough that there is more to this life than what they see before them?

I don't know that it's quite fair to expect our boys to have a total comprehension of the Atonement and all that the Restored Gospel encompasses when I, myself only seem to have hit the tip of the iceberg of the knowledge available. I suppose that's why we celebrate Christmas; to remind ourselves of what our lives are becoming and how in-line they are with our spiritual growth. As we are children ourselves, we can ask ourselves the questions we wonder about our own children. Perhaps our children will only truly understand Christmas when we do. So, this year instead of sharing what each of us has done through the year I've decided to share something that is greater. Here is an excerpt of the testimony of our Savior that I can not put into better words.

"He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the
Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father,
He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by
him; and without him was not any thing made that was
made” (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to
fulfill all righteousness. He “went about doing good”
(Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a
message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow
His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing
the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He
taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal
existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential
for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.
He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great
atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on
spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced
to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the
sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in
behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.
We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all
human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded
on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only
Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world." - The Living Christ


Merry Christmas!

No comments: