Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tried and . . .actually not so much

So, it's Tuesday and as I look back at the week I'm seeing that I am definitely pregnant.  One of my favorite things to do has been stolen from me because of my nose that smells things too strong and my stomach that can't like anything that I've been smelling for long.  For the next little while, my cooking will be at a minimum, which means the recipe sharing will be hit-and-miss. I may share some recipes that I just want to share, even though I didn't necessarily make them that week.  Maybe next week.  For now though I'll share the craziness of our busy lives.  

For the past several weeks we have had things going on every day. . . which to the regular person is pretty normal, but for me it's a big change.  Our life with two kids has been based around one project or thing to focus on every day and that was it.  Now it's been packed with appointments and adventures.  I figure I should record them here so that someday when I'm carpooling a million kids to 7 different sports/recitals/whatever it is that kids do, I can laugh at my considering this time busy and say "Wow, you had no idea what you were getting into!".

1. Chiropractor Visits:  After my accident in December I felt fine for a couple of day and then I started waking up with the sorest upper back.  It was kind of debilitating and I was struggling getting going at all before noon.  Most mornings the boys watched cartoons until much later than I would ever allow in any other circumstance.  It hurt to get out of bed and my back would make loud cracking noises frequently throughout the day with the slightest move.  I thought it was just because of my pregnancy, even though I usually don't have any symptoms until my second trimester.  Anyway, after over a month of this I finally decided to go see a chiropractor.  He said I looked bad (actually he used much bigger, cooler words, but 'bad' works for me).  He then put me on a therapy schedule of 3 visits per week for 6 weeks and then gradual tapering off. This is actually now my last week of 3x's.  It has been really wonderful to see what a difference he has made.  I no longer have any pain and  I am getting up in the morning really well - other than my pregnancy tired-ness.  The boys go in with me on Fridays and also get adjusted.  They really love it and are so funny when they explain it to Dad.  Hyrum: "Chiropractor breaked my bones, Dad!" or "Chiropractor made popcorn in my neck."  Noah usually repeats Hyrum's explanation, however he shows us how it's done.  The other day I was sitting down and he walked up to me and put both hands on my face and then turned my head right and left and yelled, "POP! POP!"  He's cracked Brett's neck a few times too:)

2. Dentist Visit:  The boys both had their 6 month checkup this last week.  I was expecting them to be okay and was so proud to see both of them be excellent for the Hygienists and Doctor.  They opened their mouths wide, held still and did everything that was asked them.  Noah did tell the Hygienist that it was his turn to use the polisher a few times and she was very sweet to take turns with him polishing his teeth. No cavities! Woohoo!
3.  Joy School:  This year I started a JoySchool with a friend of mine.  It has been such a great experience for Hyrum.  He has been able to learn better social skills and to learn and create new things in safe environments with his friends.  We began with six Moms and six three-year-olds.  We've had a few changes over the past few months, but the group is still great!  The kids meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30-11am.  The first few weeks and preparation/organization before was a little crazy, but now it's running perfectly.  I will definitely do JoySchool again for Noah.  Someday I'll take pictures to put up.  If you're interested in our curriculum schedule we set up or want more information on how we did it, just let me know and I'd be happy to pass things along to you.
(I had to take a picture of the boys because Hyrum made a big deal about how their clothes don't look alike AT ALL, when I made a little comment about them wearing clothes that match.  For some reason it really bothered him that I could ever think that they matched. . . hmm, do you see a similarity?)    
4. Noah had his 2 year checkup.  He is 97% in height!  He's such a tall little man.  The Pediatrician was amazed at his speaking ability.  He's an early talker and had a lot to say to the Doctor.  He's usually pretty shy around strangers, but when he opens up, you'll know it.  It's not uncommon to hear full sentences and even have conversations with him.  The Doctor asked him about his Birthday and he said, "Noah's birthday went down to basement for party.  Eat yummy cake and watch movie in basement. Noah have Woody doll."  I was really impressed that he remembered all of that since it was a few weeks before.  He's so smart and we love having him as a part of our family!

(The boys LOVE 'hand balloons' it's always the first thing they ask for at every appointment.  Hyrum has gotten really good at blowing the gloves up.  HE gets them HUGE as you can see by this picture.)
5. Night life:  Well, I can't remember ever really having nights free, so nothing has changed.  Monday nights are reserved for our family to spend together.  Tuesday nights Brett's at the church to help the Bishop.  Wednesday nights are my mutual/grocery shopping nights.  Thursdays are always eaten up by something, Brett and I seem to alternate weeks on who does their thing on that night.  Which leaves Friday and Saturday nights to anythings else that needs to get done, and the occasional date out.  I actually don't know what I would do with myself if I had a whole week with nothing planned in the evenings.  I really enjoy having things to do and places to go. . . it makes me feel like there's more to me than Ring-Around-The-Rosie.

6.  Oh, Baby!  Well, I seem to just love to be complicated with my pregnancies.  When I went in for my pregnancy blood work they called me back to say that they found something in my blood and needed me to see a Perinatologist.  I went in today with Brett.  They did an ultrasound (the baby looked so cute!)  Then the Perinatologist came in to speak to us.  Basically my blood has developed an Anti-body to fight off an Antigen coming from Brett's blood.  Oooh, our blood is fighting. . . sounds so Twilight!  The issue is that the baby is half his in my body, so if the baby carries the same antigen and our blood happens to meet than I will start fighting the baby's blood.  The chances of that happening are not big.  Worst case scenario would be that the baby would need a blood transfusion, possibly be anemic, and/or need to be delivered prematurely because it would be safer out than in.  Those are the WORST CASE scenerios, and most likely will NEVER reach that point, but Doctors have to follow every safety precaution.  We obviously aren't taking it lightly, but we also feel that there's really nothing to worry about unless there's something to worry about, and right now there isn't.  Our chances are highly in our favor for everything to be normal.  I'm actually happy to follow the safety precautions, because it means more ultrasounds!  I love having the visual of the growing cutie.  The only things that were certain facts was that the baby will need to be delivered early for their safety, and that now that I have the antibody it will never go away and it will either stay the same or get worse.  We'll just keep that in mind as we plan our family.  Overall, I think the outcome of the appointment was good.  Nothing to really worry about at this point, and the baby looks perfect and growing well.  He/She is measuring one week bigger than my date, but I tend to have big measuring babies. :)
 (I did actually make some bread with Hyrum this week.  The boys LOVED it!  Hyrum's new favorite machine is my wheat grinder-I'll share more bread stuff sometime when I'm sharing recipes)

Well, that's it. We've been busy, but we've also been having a lot of fun and I have been loving our warmer weather lately.  I realize that there will probably be one or two more big snows before real Spring comes, but I'll take what I can get:)

5 comments:

Jaclyn said...

keep us posted with baby! We'll pray that all continues to be uneventful. :) Also hope the nausea goes away soon.... can't wait to see if baby is a he or a she!

Can you send me the info on your joy school? I'm thinking that's what I would like to do for B instead of preschool..... your info would be so helpful!

Chase and Kaley said...

WOW! Sounds like crazy fun for you all! I hear ya about all the ultrasounds you'll get to have! We might have to have a contest to see who gets the most! HAHA! Keep us posted on how things go and we'll be praying for you guys!

Jennifer said...

So sorry that this pregnancy isn't smooth sailing!

It looks like a fun dentist's office you go to.

Glad your back is doing better!

Amy said...

I love that you put cute things Hyrum and Noah say on the side of your blog. Just getting back into blogging it's so fun to see how everyone adds different things to personalize it. Probably I'll end up "borrowing" all your amazing ideas!

Mama Steen said...

My mom had the same blood issue with her pregnancies, but their blood did meet and every pregnancy after her second one was considered high risk! She has 7 beautifully healthy kids, despite that!