Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tried and True-sday -Health

Hyrum loves broccoli soup whenever we go the the Brick Oven.  It's one of his favorite things.  I have NEVER made any kind of broccoli soup before and I really don't know why!  I decided to finally just look up some recipes online and try it out.  The one I decided on trying had great reviews and looked really simple, so I thought I would test it out.  The soup turned out to be really good.  I think the next time I make it though I will not puree anything, but overall a great recipe to have around. Thank you food.com and happy cooking!

Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 medium chopped onion

1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half (I just used 2% milk)
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb. fresh broccoli (I just used all the florets of one big head of broccoli)
1 cup carrots, julienned
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion in butter. Set aside.  Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half-and-half.  And the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the broccoli, carrots adn onions.  Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper.  Can be pureed in a blender at this point.  Return to heat and add cheese.  Stir in nutmeg.  Ready to serve!  Great with garlic bread!

1 comment:

The Partridge Family said...

Glad you feel good enough to battle the smells of the kitchen. If you want a consoltation on broccoli soup, Jennifer has a good recipe and it's so easy 'cause Ryan does all the chopping! Have a great week.