Friday, March 25, 2011
Mutual
So, I saw on a random blog a really cute birthday based on the Amazing Race that I thought would be fun to recreate for our youth joint activity. I spent a while searching for ideas and images and this Wednesday was the final moment of truth to see if everything would work. There were 8 youth leaders that had assignments. I had planned on 6 youth teams of 8 or under. (Due to small attendance though I cut it down to 4 teams) It began with an opening and then the teams were given instructions and rules. In order to keep it under control and also make for a more intense Pit Stop, I assigned 2 leaders to walk around with a pen and be official 'Penalty Ensue-ers'. When a team was found being irreverent or not following the rules they would write on the back of their envelope '-2 minutes' (or however many minutes they thought would be fitting) that would be waited out at the Pit Stop before official check-in. Each team began with one clue to their first challenge. After completing each challenge they were given their next clue until eventually each team made it to the Pit Stop. The winning team received full sized candy bars (PayDay's) and all other finishing teams got Nerds. It took a while to get everything organized and coordinated with everyone else, but I think it was worth it. The youth had fun and the challenges were all geared on service, sport, spiritual growth, and unity. My only regret is not making more challenges. I highly overestimated how much time it would take to complete each challenge. . . especially since we had to cut it down to 4 teams. The whole activity only lasted one hour. I guess it's all about learning, right? I will definitely keep the templates so that maybe I can do it again for something else:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! This looks very fun, cute, and professional! Between you and Amy, I now see why I have never had a YW calling . . . you are way more creative than I am!
Cute Stephanie, sounds like it turned out well. I'm sad I was feeling sick or I would have been there! good job!
Post a Comment