Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tried and True-sday

We do really try and eat healthy.  Ice Cream has become a special treat rather than a nightly occurrence.  Cookies are now made every 3-4 months rather than every other week.  We've cut back a lot, but we haven't cut out completely.  I thought I would share with you some pictures of our treat nights and a new recipe that I will definitely make again.
The other night we had company over and so we made some brownies.  The boys helped clean the bowl and spoon which made quite a mess.  Hyrum thought it was SO funny!
I had a breakfast meeting with my girls that I'm over in Young Womens.  Pop-Tarts seemed fitting so I tried them out.  They were pretty simple to make and very tasty.  The next time I make them I think I'll buy some white baking flour to taste the texture difference.  I've been grinding my own wheat and have loved the flavor of things, but the wheat was a little heavy for tarts, I think.  Brett loved them just the way they were. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them out:

Pop-Tarts
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 3/4 cups flour
3 teas. baking powder
1/2 cup fruit preserves

FROSTING
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teas. vanilla
2 Tbls. milk

Preheat oven to 350F.
In mixer or food processor, cream shortening and sugar together and then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Sift together flour and baking powder and stir into shortening mixture to make a soft dough. Chill for 1 hr.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll out 12 rectangles, each 8 x 12 inches. Spread one tablespoon of preserves over half of each rectangle, staying well within the edge of the pastry. Fold pastry dough over the preserves and trim the edges with a pastry wheel or crimp with a fork to close.  Place tarts on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 min. Let cool. 

Mix vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar until you have a thin frosting.  Dribble frosting on cooled tarts.

My alterations: Whole wheat flour was used instead of regular white.  I used homemade strawberry/banana freezer jam and it was yummy! I used Pillsbury vanilla cream frosting and just wiped it on the top while they were still hot so that it seeped in and spread over the top.  The picture above was taken just before putting the frosting on.  Also, I obviously didn't make them into squares I made circles.  
Happy Baking!


 Our most frequent snackage as a family has become pop-corn.  The boys LOVE popping the kernels and it's a much healthier alternative to dessert.  (Noah always has the best facial expressions!)
Of course the best dessert is a Dad sandwich:) 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cute popcorn maker! Where did you get it?

Trish Atkinson said...

Those pop tarts look yummy! I will have to try, thanks for posting!