Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hawaii - The Ocean

   I LOVE the ocean.  I love the smell, the sounds, the salty after-taste on my lips.  I love the sand sinking between my toes and the whole world unseen beneath it's waters.  Spending any amount of time in or near an ocean just makes the whole trip worth it for me.  I hope so badly that my kids will love the ocean as much as me.  
Hyrum loved the beach and playing in the sand, but never warmed up to being in the water that much.  We were glad that we decided to cancel his surfing lessons, because that would have just ended (or began) in tears. . . hopefully he will feel up to it when he's older.  He really liked building things with his sand toys.  He built houses and castles and towers of all kinds.  He's quite the engineer!

Noah was kind of funny about the water.  Sometimes he was scared of it and other times he LOVED riding on the body board.  Brett would push him into the waves and hang on.  He laughed hysterically and loved talking about 'surfing'.  Of course the time I brought my camera out to watch him was when he was scared.  He often loved being in his own little world on the sand.  He would play for hours with his buckets and shovels and sometimes just run around in circles.  
Brett takes the attack approach on the ocean and loves just jumping right into the waves.  He was so glad that he also had the opportunity to go Scuba diving while there too (pictures to come later).
Despite my love of the ocean, I really don't like getting in too deep, but I LOVE snorkeling.  I was so glad that we found some time to get out there with some of my nephews and brother-in-laws.  I saw some awesome tropical fish and amazing coral reefs.  

No comments: