Friday, June 29, 2012

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow

As I rapidly approach the big 3-0 there are some things that must get done.  Donating my hair is on my list:).   I always thought it would be really neat to donate my hair .  I've cut a handful of peoples hair when I was working in a salon as they donated it.  I  thought it was a neat thing, but at the time, thought it wasn't something I could ever do.  As I get older I know that I'm not the type of person to have hair down to my bum when I'm 40, 50, or ever again.  So, three years ago I committed to grow my hair out until I was 30 and donate it, because my grey hairs aren't decreasing in number and the desire to dye it will only increase.  I didn't quite make it to 30, but I did get it long enough to donate, and that's what matters.  As I've been preparing for the donation I learned a few facts.  It takes 20-30 hair donations just to make one wig!  A single real-hair wig costs over $1000.  My hair is a small contribution, but I hope it will make someone happy and feel beautiful.  
  
Before:
My hair went to the middle of my back, and when I looked up at the ceiling it would touch my pants.  I, for the most part, found my long hair to be incredibly annoying. It was always in my way, hot on my neck, collecting baby spit-up, getting pulled easily, etc.  For my boys though, my hair was a play-place and they loved it.  One of Noah's favorite things to do was to hide under my hair and play peek-a-boo.  Hyrum liked to twist it and tie it into knots. Owen liked it when I would tickle his neck with the ends.  The boys loved it when I would be the tickle monster and let my hair down so it would tickle their faces and necks when I would pin them down. (I took the picture below so they could remember what it looked like).  I've had long hair for the majority of their lives, even thought I feel like it was such a small portion of mine.  Cutting it off wasn't hard for me, but I can completely understand why some people have such a hard time getting rid of their long locks.  I can now empathize with the situation.  As for me though, we had a little hair party with the   remains:

What to do with 10+ inches of hair before it goes in the mail?. . . 



 After: 
 I know I look kind of creepy in this picture, but I forgot to have Brett take a picture before he went to work, so I was trying to take it myself:). . I love my new haircut! 
Farewell hair!  Hello freedom!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Your new haircut is so cute! Love it! And you had beautiful, silky long hair that someone will really appreciate in their wig :)