Saturday, February 9, 2013

Chevron Stripes

Chevron stripes are such a fun trend right now.  I've been wanting to put some on the wall for a while, but finally took the plunge while Brett was gone this last week.  After a few requests I decided to post a little tutorial on how I did it.  I'm not great at explaining myself, or taking pictures with one hand, so hopefully you can read between the stripes on this one. . .hehe.  

Time spent: approximately 4-5 hours 

Here were my tools (plus a small ladder):
The first stripe was the hardest.  After measuring, taping, re-measuring, re-taping, and almost two hours later I think I figured out how to do it.  It's all about trial and error, right?  My level/ruler was essential to the job!  If you don't have one I would highly recommend the investment.  

Here's what I learned from the first stripe:
1. Don't stress about the lines as much as the points, when measuring.
2. Don't tape until you've marked everything with chalk on the wall and rechecked it. . twice.
3. Ceilings are not always perfectly even, so if you start your first stripe measuring from the ground up, it might look uneven compared to the ceiling.  So, make the first stripe up by ceiling and then work your way down.  

I started my first 'up-point' 4 3/4 inches from the ceiling. I marked the exact spot with a piece of white chalk.  Then I measured 12 inches over and 11 3/4 inches down and marked another spot.  Then just continue the pattern.  12 inches over, make a mark 4 3/4 inches down, 12 inches over, make a mark 11 3/4 inches down, etc. Once I had a bunch of white chalk x's I used them to put on the Frogtape from point A to point B.  I did not chalk mark the line.  It was a lot easier to just go from x to x with the tape.

Note:  The distance from my ceiling to the first stripe are kind of weird, but that's just where I wanted it to land.  When you're doing it you could pick easier measurement numbers to work with:) 

 Once the top zig-zag line was taped I went to each point and placed the ruler/lever going 12 inches down from the point and x marked a spot.  Wow, that sounded really confusing.  I'm really hoping the pictures clarify what I'm trying to say. I just marked x's 12 inches below each of the up and down points from the first zig-zag.  Then I taped that line the same as I did with the previous (Tape from point A to point B).  
Note: When taping I would push really hard with my thumb along the tape on the side that would be painted to make sure there would be no air pockets. 
Once you finish taping the two parallel chevron stripes, tape the walls to the side off as well.  Then do the same technique for your next stripe.  I used my handy-dandy ruler/level to measure 12 inches below each point, marked the spot, and followed the same pattern as above.  
I left the tape on the wall for the bottom stripe so you can see what it looked like.  When the tape was removed there were no paint smudges, or leaking anywhere.  The lines are crisp and clean (Thanks again Frogtape!) 
























Summary:
1. Mark the points with chalk, then tape from x to x.
2. Push the tape really hard against the wall on the side that will be painted.
3. Use a level to make sure your top and bottom points are even with each other.
4. The first line is the hardest and takes the longest, but after that it's really not bad.
5. addition: I used three coats of paint just slightly lighter than the color that was already on my wall.
6. addition:  I bought a gallon of paint, because I didn't know what to expect.  I could have easily gotten away with a quart.
7. addition:  I removed the tape just a few hours after I painted it. Be sure to pull the tape off carefully.
8.  addition:  I had fun doing this.  I think I'll do it again someday to an unsuspecting wall.

No comments: