Thursday, September 10, 2015

Brett Garnett Jr.

August 7, 2015
We arrived at the hospital at 5:15am. It was dark outside and we were wide awake. Surgery preparations took about an hour before being wheeled into the OR. Brett got his monkey suit on and came prepared with the camera and conversation topics to distract me during the surgery. I was so happy that I packed my winter hat for the freezing OR. The nurses and staff were all awesome and fun to chat with. Funny how by my fifth c-section I can laugh and talk with strangers as I awkwardly succumb to anesthesia, half naked, in a bright room. Everything went smoothly. In fact, this was by far my best and 'easiest' c-section. My usual groans and motor boat noises that escape my mouth as they apply ridiculous amounts of pressure to my abdomen actually came out in the form of loud laughter this time around. The hardest emotional part of my delivery day with my other boys has been right after their births. They place their small, newly delivered body for a brief moment on my shoulder for introduction before baby and Dad leave for tests, cleaning, and monitoring. After all the pain and emptiness of having my baby removed, I would be left alone, wheeled off alone to be monitored in a room for another hour and a half. With my other boys it was anywhere from 2-8 hours before I was even able to hold them again. Today was different and full of miracles. They allowed skin-on-skin time right after delivery, and my sweet little Brett stayed with me for close to the entire day. To have him with me, on my chest, as they completed the surgery and for those first hours was the greatest blessing and tender mercy to be gifted for my last delivery of my life. I could feel his warm, fast breaths on my skin and hear his little whimpers. He is beautiful. He is perfect. I am beyond grateful and amazed at the love my Father in Heaven offers me. I feel so blessed to be a mother and to welcome this fifth little man into our lives. He saved my life and I saved his, we will forever hold this special bond. He is a warrior and a survivor. We could think of no more fitting name than Brett Garnett Partridge Jr. I learned that Garnett means 'armed with a spear' which is a fitting name for our little warrior who managed to make it through 6 rounds of chemotherapy healthy, strong, and with more hair then me.


Brett weighed 6lb.1 oz.  His brothers were so excited to see him and hold him for the first time.  

I kept Brett with me most of the time in the hospital.  He never had a full on cry the whole three days we were there.  He is calm, peaceful, and sweet.   The nursing staff were so kind.  I feel like they gave us a little extra attention because they knew what a miracle baby we have.  We have been so blessed to have such amazing support and help during this whole thing.  A few women have been so generous in donating their frozen breast milk for him.  I never would have imagined to be the recipient of so much charity and love.  We are very grateful and humbled.  



No comments: