I know this is a long post with lots of text, so I've just divided it up by topics. Since this is our family journal as well I didn't want to miss anything.
The Departure:
I hear that the more kids you have, and the older they get the more you'll appreciate time away from them. I'm not saying parents love them less, but they're just smart enough to recognize that the kids will be with them forever so alone time is good to enjoy. I haven't really reached that point. One of the saddest and happiest moments of my life happened on February 20th. We went to take Hyrum over to play with his cousins while I went to the hospital. I knew he would enjoy it, because he always loves being over at Ryan and Jennifer's (by the way, thank you again!!!!), but this time I knew that this drop off would mean that I would be away from home and him (other than visits) for 2-4 days. Let's just say I was a bit hysterical. Brett took him inside so that I could stay in the car and cry. I was so excited and happy to be having Noah, but I just wish it didn't mean being away from home for so long. the news I received was that Hyrum had a lot of fun and did just fine with out me there. . . although he missed me horribly and couldn't wait till I got home. It wasn't fun being away from Hyrum, but I made it through and Hyrum is still alive. He has been a little extra clingy since I've been home, but I think it will get better when he relizes that I'm not leaving again for that long in quite a while.
The Delivery:
No, I'm not going into gruesome detail, but for those who were curious I thought I would just state here what happened. Hyrum's delivery was a necessary c-section because of a large cyst blocking my birth canal. I was hoping to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarian) with Noah. Hyrum came a little over 2 weeks early, and so I was kind of planning and hoping on Noah doing the same. VBAC's have risks and complications that I was made aware of in the beginning of the pregnancy. Brett and I made a few decisions in the beginning that would have us aiming for a VBAC. We also knew that when things came to a certain point the risk of complication would increase and then we would opt for the c-section. Well, one of the increased risks of complications occurs once you reach your due date if the baby hasn't been born yet. With that said, I went to my 39th week appointment to find that I was only dilated to a 2 and 80% effaced. This was a shock and disappointment to us because I had a few nights of regular contractions and also a night of food poisoning that had me throwing up a dozen times (if that doesn't put someone into labor, I don't know what will). We went ahead and scheduled the c-section for the 20th, in hopes that I still would go into labor before then, but it didn't happen. If, by the 20th, I had dilated to a 3 or more my Dr said that she could break my water to try and get me to go into labor (VBAC's can't be induced). The 20th came, nothing changed, and my cervix was 'too far back' anyway (whatever that means). So, the c-section was the answer. I'm just so happy for the medical advancements today and that we will still be able to have a bundle of kids.
The Recovery:
I feel great! I really wasn't sure what to expect. Hyrum's surgery was a double surgery, and I went into shock halfway through, so they pumped me soooo full of drugs. My recovery with him took a while and I sadly really don't remember much of anything the first few days after he was born. It took me a week before I could walk without being hunched over and 2 weeks before I got off Percocet. I was really worried that it would be the same way again. Luckily it wasn't even close! I'm not saying that I'm back to normal yet, but my recovery has progressed so much better than I expected. I was able to walk to the bathroom on day 2 and on day 4 when I was released from the hospital I was able to walk around the house (minimally) with out any problems. Yesterday I went on a walk with my mom and the boys and played with Hyrum in the backyard. The only thing that has been really hard for me is not being able to pick up and hold Hyrum. I can't lift anything other than Noah for 6 weeks (but I'm going to talk to my doctor to see if that's negotiable). It really breaks my heart to not be able to carry him down for his nap, or pick him up when he falls. This is the one thing I look most forward too in my recovery.
The New Kid on the Block:
Noah is doing pretty well. He's a bit Jaundice-y, and so his skin has a yellow tint. It hasn't gotten to a point where he needs to be under the lights. We do have to keep taking him in to get tested in the lab. He had a really tough time nursing, but is finally starting to get a hang of things.
The Big Brother
Hyrum has been doing really well with the adjustment so far. He does have a little jealousy sometimes, and so I have to put both boys on my lap at the same time, but it's not that bad. He's actually been really cute about it. He's given Noah his pacifier a couple of times and even tried to share a sucked on conversation heart with him. . . yah, we have to keep a close eye on them when they're together. Today he was 'talking' on my moms cell phone and then put it up to Noah's ear for him to talk. It was so funny, he tried to put it in Noah's hand and got a little frusterated because Noah wouldn't hold on to it. I'm really excited to see them play together as they get older. I think they'll be great little buddies.
The Grandma
Last, but definitely not least I have to give a huge thanks to my Momma!! My mom got here on the 20th to be my right hand. . . and left. . . and everything in between. She was able to schedule us in for two weeks. It has been great to have her take care of all the cooking and cleaning so that I can focus on being mommy exclusively for a little while. Thanks Mom!
Here are a few more pictures. Above is Hyrum's first introduction to Noah. . .he was busy on an important call most of the time he was there. Below is Grandma's visit and also Noah all packed up to go home. Can you believe how little he looks?!? I'd forgotten how little babies are. 

11 comments:
way to go, steph! I'm glad to hear your recovery is going better than the first time around. And how lovely that your mom is there to help. Moms are the best. Say hello to your whole gang there...congratulations!!!
I think Noah looks so much like Hyrum! They are definitely brothers. :) Can't wait to meet him!
Congratulations!!!! We are so happy that everything went well. Both of those boys are so lucky to have such great parents! We can't wait to see Noah. He is absolutely adorable! Congrats again! We love you guys!
So glad you're recovering well. We're so excited for you. Hyrum will be such a great big brother!
You're such a trooper!
Glad to hear that recovery 2nd time around is better then the first. I sure hope mine is the same way too. Noah is so sweet and looks so precious. congrats again to you guys.
wow! so exciting!! i am so happy everything went well! Let us know if Hyrum needs to come play with Jackie for a little bit if you need a break!
Glad your recovery is going better this time!
Congratulations!! He is beautiful. I just love newborns. It's such a fun time while they're so cuddly and small. Glad to hear Hyrum is adjusting well. Can't wait to meet him sometime!
Another totally cutie-patootie! We can't wait to meet him! The boys are especially excited to have another buddy to hang out with. . . eventually :)
Yay! Congrats guys! We can't believe you have TWO now...crazy. Wish we were there to visit you.
What a great post. Your family is so cute and you're a superstar. The first night I ever spent without Abby was when I was in hospital with the twins... and she was almost 5! I'm glad your recovering well.
Post a Comment