Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Innocent Mess

The other day I was making some rolls, and while the dough was rising I was working on laundry. I left the flour on the counter so that I could kneed the dough out when it was ready. Noah was taking a nap and Hyrum was playing with play-do at the table. . . life was calm and good. I came out of the laundry room to find Hyrum standing on a chair pushed up to the counter, with flour ALL over the kitchen floor, counters, cabinets, etc. My initial reaction was serious frustration at Hyrum. It took me a moment to process how to best handle the situation. . .then he turned and saw me. He had a big innocent smile on his excited face and he exclaimed; "Mom, look! Hyrum make dust! Look! Look!" as he clapped the dust in his hands and then tried to catch it. He was so proud of himself for his discovery. My heart melted and my punishment plan changed slightly. . .I first let him show me how he made the dust and praised him for his discovery, but then I told him why it was not a good idea to make dust this way. We made dust for a little bit and then we both cleaned it all up together. Sometimes it's just so hard to be mad at such innocence. . . now if it happens again - I don't think it will be so hard:)
I love it when Brett plays piano after we finish dinner. It brings a nice atmosphere in the house. . and the boys like joining in, which gives me a chance to do dishes.

1 comment:

Hina Schneider said...

Boys will be boys. Yes its hard not to get mad at our kids when they have made such a huge mess but you just got to love them.