Sunday, January 23, 2011

Simple Everyday

 We all have our 'things', as parents that we never thought was a big deal, until you have kids and suddenly it's really important.  Sure, the basics of clothing, bathing, teaching them the alphabet, etc. are all important, don't get me wrong.  For some reason it is really important to me that our boys enjoy simple things and appreciate the simple beauties of earth.  I feel like there is so much commercialization of youth and so much of the world to overwhelm them that I want to be sure they recognize the sunset every night, the amazing things that keep us going each day, and the small overlooked things- like dust flecks floating in the air and how beautiful it is when the sun hits them. I get so happy and excited when I see my boys appreciate little things that might get overlooked by me.  This week it was the washer.  They both had their fascination with the dryer when they were babies, but this week they pulled up some stools and decided to watch the washer and it was so funny listening to their discoveries, Hyrum: "Wow! It spinning so fast, Mom". Noah: "Uh, oh. Clothes getting all wet!"  Yes, I'm a dork, but it still makes me happy. 
My sister, Mic, sent the boys some hand puppets for Christmas and they have been a HUGE hit, especially with Hyrum.  You would think that Hyrum's sheep is a real-living animal as much as he talks to it and pets it.  He frequently asks me to put it on my hand and then he just wants to hold it and he tells it over and over again, "I know you love me sheep! I love you too!"  It's pretty cute. 
Noah recently discovered a new trick.  He holds things over his head and repeatedly says, "SUPERMAN!" He holds pillows, blankets, books, plates, . . . . pretty much anything he can lift goes over his head and stays there for a few minutes while he shows everyone 'Superman'.   I'm really not sure where these boys get these ideas from.  They both love Superman despite the fact that they have never read any Superman comics or seen any Superman shows or movies.  I love it!

 Oh, and I don't want to forget Huggie Ghosts.  Hyrum loves putting blankets on his head and going around the house making ghost noises.  A few weeks ago he said he was a Huggie Ghost:, "I not scary, I give hugs".  So, now Noah and Hyrum run around the house making ghost noises looking for me to give big hugs.  

5 comments:

Elke said...

Rigby is like that about all action heroes. He will not watch any movie with a "bad guy" in it, so he has not seen any of them, but he is so fascinated. Male wiring, I guess.

Jennifer said...

I love that you take the time to document the day-to-day things. Those are things you'll otherwise forget in a few years. But now you have the memories, which you'll cherish!

Unknown said...

Superman is just one of those things boys are born loving!

Jason & Naomi said...

That's so cute! You were always expert in knowing how to appreciate the small things in life. Thank you for always showing me how. :)

Scott and Michelle Ouderkirk said...

So glad the boys love their little hand puppets. Troy loves his Dalmatian puppy hand puppet too. He calls it his "Puppy" but then he says, "Meooo, Meooo." every time he plays with it.