Don't be overwhelmed by how long this post is. It's not a reflection of the difficulty of the recipe. I just added extra stuff. This is my all time favorite go-to recipe when I don't know what to make and we don't seem to have anything to eat. We almost always have the ingredients to make rolls, and we usually have cheese and sausage in the freezer. This does take some time because you have to make a yeast dough, but it's so easy and it's great to double the recipe and freeze the other half for another -don't want to cook- kind of day. I probably make this once a month and Hyrum LOVES them. (After I made this batch last week Hyrum ate FOUR for dinner!) I wouldn't really qualify it as healthy, but considering my boys refuse to eat anything green this is a big step in the right direction.
My mom made this frequently when I was growing up and it wasn't until later in life that I realized that it's not a typical, everyone knows what I'm talking about, kind of dish. Although they're very similar to calzone's if you want it to relate to something. They're called Peroski's and they are a Ukrainian dish. I usually just serve them alone for dinner, because I'm not that fancy, but they can also be a side dish. The great thing about Peroskis is that you can fill the dough with anything you want. Hamburger, olives, and taco seasoning. Beans and cheese. Chicken with alfredo sauce. I've written in my two favorite fillings I've created below. Happy Cooking!
Peroski
Step One: Make the filling ahead of time and store in the fridge. You can't use it too warm or it will ruin the dough. Sometimes I make the filling in the morning or the night before just to have it done and out of the way.
Step Two: Make your favorite Roll recipe and let it rise the first time just like normal
Step Three: When done rising, roll the dough out onto a floured surface to be about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into squares.(tip: only use serrated knives when working with yeast dough) You can also cut into rectangles if you want them to be long instead of round. Place a spoonful of filling into each square. Pinch the dough shut and lay pinched-side down onto greased baking sheet.
Step Four: Let rise again for about 30-40 minutes (they will not double in size)
Step Five: baste with whisked egg whites if you want them to have a glazed look and then bake according to your roll recipe directions. Done and delicious!
Creamy Goodness -Filling 1: (I don't measure, so this is a good estimate)
1 tube sausage (mild)
4-8 oz. cream cheese
1/2-1 cup brocoli florets
shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle
Cook the sausage in a frying pan until brown and then turn the heat down and add the cream cheese and brocoli. Stir and smoosh it up until the cream chease is all liquefied and immersed. Store in the fridge until ready to put on dough. When dough is ready put a spoonful of the mixture in the center of the dough, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
Healthy Goodness -Filling 2: (Again, sorry for the lack of measuring)
1 tube sausage (mild
1/2-1 cup sour cream
1 cup-ish pico de gallo
shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle
Follow the same instructions as the above recipe.
Extra, Extra!
This is one of my all time favorite sweet dinner roll recipes that also happens to be PERFECT for Peroskis because it almost always ends up making just the right amount of dough to match the filling. Thank you Michelle for this awesome recipe!
Sweet Dinner Rolls
In Kitchen Aid mix the following:
1/2 cup HOT water
1/2 cup milk (warmed)
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup butter (melted)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
Slowly add the following:
3 3/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp. yeast
Mix and Kneed for about 3 minutes. When dough feels kind of elastic-y pour it onto a floured surface, form it into a ball and then place in a large bowl. Let rise until double (about an hour). (If making Peroskis follow the instructions above). When done rising pour it back onto the floured surface and using a serrated knife cut out small fist-fulls of dough and shape it into a ball and then place on baking sheets. Let rise again for about 30-45 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
2 comments:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! I remember the first I had them was in Cox Apartments...good times! I still don't think I have this recipe, so thank you, I'll put it on my website for all to have! :)
I convinced the other foods teacher to try this recipe. . . The kids will be cooking these in class in a few weeks. We are going to have a "filling station" and all the kids can pick their own filling. I think that would be a fun idea for a party too (maybe Super Bowl???)
Post a Comment