Saturday, October 27, 2012

Play Room Painting Project

I started working on the playroom a few weeks ago, but the project was only worked on a little bit while I was taking care of Owen.  I finally got done today.  Just in time to stop procrastinating making Owen's Halloween costume.  We still need to re-hang bookshelves and put things back in the room, but at least the painting is done.  Here's a peak at our 'under water' playroom:



This was really fun for me to do and it reminded me how much I miss doing art projects.  I think I really love doing huge wall pictures, it was fun and a learning experience.  My all time favorite part of the whole playroom is something you can't see in these pictures.  The jellyfish and octopus glow in the dark, really!  I also have 4 extra jellyfish in the room that you can only see when the lights are out.  The boys really love it.  They let the room 'charge' with the light on for about ten minutes and then they shut the door, turn the lights out, and are surrounded by glowing sea creatures.   I love having this playroom in our basement, because I feel like I can experiment and have fun with it without caring if things look bad or not.  Not many people will ever see this room and it's small enough to paint over quickly if we ever need to.  I let the boys be in charge of painting the secret room in the playroom. They took it very seriously and were very careful and determined to make it awesome.  Here's them at work:
(you can see the octopus outline the day after I first drew it in this pic:)

Ok, it might look a little scary when you see this picture of craziness, but I promise you that every single part of this picture is essential in the boy's minds.  The part that Hyrum did has a whole story to go with it about our family leaving our house and walking to a giant playhouse/rollercoaster/funhouse.  Each of the lines resembles a different slide or rollercoaster.   There are also swings, 'spinning things', and mazes.   

 Noah was having a little more fun with the color and brushes then focusing on what he was actually drawing, but he did work hard on it.  
It was a really fun project to do and now on to the next project:)

2 comments:

Scott and Michelle Ouderkirk said...

Love it. So creative and cool idea to put in glow in the dark.

Jennifer said...

Looks great. I can't wait to see it in person and experience the glow in the dark! I love that you are so creative, and that you give your boys many opportunities to develop and express their creativity, too! You're a great mom!